The automated attendance phone message through School Messenger is the district’s official parent notification of an unexcused absence. The attendance notification messages are translated into five of the district’s most common languages besides English. Standard practice is for middle and high school calls to go out at the end of the business day. For the upcoming year, elementary households will also receive calls, beginning at 11 a.m.
Parents are expected to call the school by 9 am (10 am for elementary) each morning that their student is absent from school to excuse him/her from that day's attendance. Unless the parent/guardian can excuse the absence according to school board policy, the absence is unexcused. In order to keep accurate attendance records, absences must be excused within three days.
The school board updated policy 443 in June 2013 to define what constitutes an excused absence from school.
- Death or serious illness in the immediate family
- Participation in a school function
- Attendance at a religious service
- Extenuating circumstances approved by the principal
- When a family knows in advance that the student will be absent due to extenuating circumstances, in order for the absence to be excused, the parent/guardian must complete a Pre-Approved Absence Request.
- The principal may deny the request if she/he believes it would harm the student’s academic progress. If the absence is denied and the family still takes the child out of school, the absence will be unexcused. A copy of the form is available at the school or online at www.asdk12.org/parents/attendance.
When a student is absent a parent or guardian must call the school at 348- 8626 by 10 a.m. the day of your absence. This is a 24-hour number with voice mail. If calling is not possible, the student is to bring a note from the parent to the office when s/he returns to school.
All middle schools are closed campus, which means that students are not allowed to leave the building or the campus grounds from the moment of arrival at school until dismissal at 2:45 p.m. If students have to leave the building during the school day they must bring a note to the office that morning. A blue pass will be issued for the departure time. A parent must sign their student out with the office when leaving and the student must check back in when returning to school.
Parent absences also require a note! The school and emergency medical personnel must have a written note explaining who temporary guardian(s) are for any minor. For student safety, the office needs a copy and the student should keep a copy with them.
Students are tardy if not in their seat when the bell rings. Tardies will start over each quarter, but count for all classes.
- 1st offense - Warning
- 2nd to 5th offense - Detention each time
- 6th or more offenses - In-School Suspension each time